New Believers - What's Next?
Congratulations! God really did hear your prayers! You have just stepped from death into life! That is what the Bible says happens when anyone prays a prayer to accept Jesus into their life. You now have eternal life through Christ Jesus. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, and whoever believes in him shall not perish but have life eternal.”
Let someone know of your decision! Email us to share the joy!
The Bible tells us that we have all sinned and fall short of God's plan for our life. (Romans 3:23) but it also tells us that God has made a way of escape from the consequences of sin. “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.” - John 5:24
God shows us how much he loves us by giving his son to pay the price for our rebellion or indifference towards God. Romans 5:8
Romans 6:23 says “The wages of sin are death but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Romans 10:9-10 tells us “If you declare with your mouth “Jesus is Lord” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”
Our new life after praying to receive Christ can be called a lot of different things. Sometimes Jesus called it being “Born Again” or “Born from on High” It can be termed many things such as: “Becoming a Christ Follower”,a“Disciple” , a“ Christian”,“Saved”But no matter what you call it, Salvation only comes through Jesus and what has happened has changed your destiny.
There are a few things I would like for you to know about your decision to follow Christ.
1. You can be confident that God heard your prayer and has put you in a good place with him. John 3:36, “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them.”
2. You can be assured that God has saved you. Ephesians 2:8-9 “For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith (in Jesus) and this is not from yourself, it is the gift of God-not by works (you trying to be good enough to earn God’s love) so that no one can boast.”
3, You can be secure in your choice to follow God. John 10:27-29 “My sheep hear and listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand, My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all.”
1. Staying in Christ. Taking time to talk to him daily, It is called praying but it is just communication with God, talking to him like you would talk to anyone.
2. Read the Bible. A good place to start is the Book of John in the New Testament. It will tell you stories about what has just taken place in your life. Try the NIV version of the Bible or a modern paraphrased version. They all say the same thing, some versions or translations are just easier to understand.The range can cover from Old English (King James) to modern slang (Message).
3. Get into relationship with people in a good Bible Believing church. Unfortunately some so-called “churches” don’t really believe in the authority of the Bible. We believe that the Bible is God’s love letter to mankind.
4. If you are close to Granite Creek Community Church we invite you to our Granite Creek 101 CLASS. You will learn more about becoming a Christ follower and how to grow in your faith. It's online via the Zoom app, on Wednesdays, May 13, 20 & 27, 6:30 - 8:00 pm. Click here to register for Granite Creek 101!
5. Find a strong mature believer with whom you can share your thoughts, concerns and spiritual battles.
How do I know God really forgave me?
1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive our sins.”
Keep in mind that God paid such a big price to get you, he is not looking for an excuse to get rid of you…He is looking to keep you for eternity!
What if I fall away? Don’t worry about that, just love God and you’ll make it. He will send His Holy Spirit to draw you back to him.
What if I didn’t feel anything when I prayed the prayer of faith? Sometimes some people do feel God’s presence and some don’t. KEEP IN MIND your relationship (salvation) is a fact not an emotion. Feelings come and go but God's love for you is absolute!His promise is “I will NEVER leave you or forsake you.”
What if I didn’t really mean it? The enemy of God will probably throw that one on you.
He doesn’t want you to feel forgiven, He doesn’t want you to feel God's love or victorious. Just remind yourself of how much God paid to get you in relationship with him.
What if I just did it because I was afraid to die? That is a really good reason to accept Christ, He does promise us eternal life after this life but we MUST choose him now. We cannot wait until after death. The Bible reminds us “Now is the accepted time, today is the day of salvation.” - 2 Corinthians 6:2
Again, Congratulations! You have made the wisest decision you will ever make and your church family is here to serve you!